Back to Index

Overload Pay / Course Reductions (February 1994)

Faculty will not be compensated for directing masterís theses, honors theses, honors projects, or other special student projects. Compensation for administrative work performed by faculty must be approved annually by the faculty memberís Chair, Dean, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The names of faculty receiving additional compensation, including the type and amount, will be forwarded by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to the Faculty Senate for publication.

This policy is not directed at closing specific programs or jobs. There are some administrative tasks performed by faculty which deserve extra compensation. Although the amount of compensation may vary depending upon an individualís course and advisement load, professional activities, and service to the University, an open process will give all faculty a better appreciation for the work these positions demand.

Any faculty member who expects to receive extra pay or a course reduction for directing programs, advising students, or other administrative activities must submit a request to his or her chair for overload payment or course reduction. The request should discuss his or her teaching and advising loads as well as his or her professional activity and other service to the University. The request also must include a job description of the position and a rationale that discusses why these duties should not be considered as part of the normal teaching, advising, and service required of all faculty. The request for compensation must be approved by the faculty memberís Chair, and Dean, who will recommend the type and amount of compensation to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who will make the final decision. Names of faculty members who receive an overload stipend or course reduction for directing programs or other special activities will be sent to the Faculty Senate for publication.