Back to the Index
Founded in 1858, St. Bonaventure was first established as a College with full powers to confer degrees by an act of the Board of Regents of The University of the State of New York on March 1, 1875. The College was granted a permanent Charter of Incorporation by the State of New York on January 11, 1883. The Charter was amended to include the granting of Graduate Degrees on December 19, 1929. Shortly after St. Bonaventure became home to the School of Franciscan Studies and the Franciscan Institute. Supplements and amendments to the Charter were enacted on April 16, 1937, and October 18, 1946. St. Bonaventure College received University status by an amendment of the Charter and approval of the State of New York and the Board of Regents on July 21, 1950. Additional supplements and amendments to the Charter were enacted on October 20, 1950, November 21, 1952, June 29, 1973, December 13, 1974, October 24, 1986, and October 16, 1992.